Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What I'm reading...

Image: from New York Times article on the lovely Lara Logan

Big fan of the lovely Lara Logan... Pictures of "Thinking People's Sex Symbols" will grace this feature... As I find them (or you non-existent readers) send them to me...

From the Times, there is Ross Douthat . I know I'm supposed to be a fan of Douthat, because he is a Conservative with ideas, he's young, former blogger, blah, blah, blah... But reading he and Brooks today make me think that a banality which expresses itself as superficially clever is the key feature for an NYTimes column.

Citing the ways that the Supreme Court has become a legislature by other means, he proposes installing a super-majority vote, to remind voters that the court is "answerable, when all is said and done, to us." Except it isn't... It's answerable to the Constitution. Do Justices legislate from the bench? Yes, it is impossible not to. However, the goal is to find justices who do it inadvertently rather than explicitly. With the departure of Souter, this may be a pipe dream (as Douthat suggests), but it should indicate that rather than changing the court, we should be improving our legislators' understanding of how the court functions.

Douthat understands this is a republic not a democracy, right?

I've been underwhelmed by Douthat.

Big fan of "How the World Works" from Andrew Leonard... However, I thought everyone agreed that the global spike in oil prices last year this time was bubblicious?

Oh, yeah GM is bankrupt

Here's why:

*The WSJ [shocker] blames the UAW...
*Brooks blames everyone, but mostly the Unions (and the Gov't).

Me? I would have shorted the company had I ever met this guy before the 60 minutes special on electric cars, where after repeatedly mispronouncing Silicon as Silicone and denying global warming, he wonders why people think Detroit is dumb:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lutz


No comments:

Post a Comment